Marie Washington has lived entirely in beautiful Fauquier County, Virginia, except for those years when she was attending college and law school. From starting preschool at Fresta Valley Christian School to becoming a basketball star at Liberty High School, Marie has thoroughly enjoyed growing up in this area and could not think of a better place to run her law practice. She remained in Virginia for her higher education by attending The College of William and Mary, where she received her Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology and minor in government. She went on to receive her Juris Doctorate in 2003 from Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia.
Marie has practiced law since 2003 and has represented clients in matters concerning: Collections, Contracts, Business Law, Criminal & Traffic Violations, Domestic Relations, Estate Planning & Probate, the Culpeper Bar Association, and Landlord-Tenant issues. She is an active member of the Virginia State Bar, Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Northern Virginia Black Attorneys Association, and the Fauquier & Prince William County Bar Associations. Marie served on the Virginia State Bar Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board from 2011 to 2014. She served on the Board of Governors for the Litigation Section of the Virginia State Bar from July 1, 2014 to June 20, 2017 and has also served on the Board of Fauquier Hospital. Marie currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Fauquier Historical Society.
Marie loves to give back to the local community through volunteer service and charitable work. Marie has served on the Board for Fauquier Faith Partners, Inc., Salvation Army, Warrenton United Methodist Church, and Boys and Girls Club of Fauquier County. She served on the Board of Directors for the Fauquier Health Senior Living and on the advisory Board for the Mental Health Association of Fauquier County. She also received a distinguished service award in 2010 at the Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia State Bar for developing a CLE and for her charitable work of organizing the No Bills Night and Wills for Heroes program for her local community. Her law firm has provided estate planning documents to countless charities in support of their fundraising efforts.
Marie has conducted the junior judges’ program at local elementary schools, which helps elementary school children learn to judge for themselves what is the right thing to do in difficult situations. Marie also enjoys assisting at local food drives at church and participating at law camp and career shadowing days with high schools in the county. During the holidays you can find her ringing the bell for the Salvation Army alongside her Great Pyrenees dog.
Marie Washington, Attorney at Law
Voted Best Law Firm in Warrenton for 8 Years in a Row!
Recognition & Honors
- 2018 Fauquier Chamber of Commerce “Business Person of the Year Marie Washington.
- March 2018, Meet Marie Washington, Attorney and Devoted Volunteer Fauquier Times Business
- 2016, 2017, 2018 Voted 10 Best for Client Satisfaction Under 40, by American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
- 2015, 2016, 2017 Voted 10 Best for Client Satisfaction, by American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- 2016 Voted Nation’s Premier Top 10 Ranking, by National Academy Of Family Law Attorneys
- 2016 Voted 10 Best Law Firm for Client Satisfaction, by American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
- 2016 Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Warrenton, VA by Super Lawyers
- Voted 10 Best for Client Satisfaction, by American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
- 2016 American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys Best Law Firm client Satisfaction Award
- 2017 National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Nationally Ranked Top 10 Under 40
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys 10 Best Attorneys for Client Satisfaction 2 years in a row.
- 2018 SuperLawyers Rising Star
- 2018 Top Lawyers Rising Star
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2018 Best Attorneys of America – Best Attorney Member
- 2018 Fauquier Times Reader’s Choice Winner
- 2018 Fauquier County Board of Supervisors Citizen
- 2014 Citizen of the Year, as recognized by the Fauquier Times.
- 2014 Influential Women of Virginia by the Virginia Lawyers Weekly
- 2014 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Distinguished Service Award, Mount Zion Baptist Church
- 2013 Small Business of the Year by the Fauquier County Chamber of Commerce
- 2013 Best of Virginia as voted by readers of Virginia Living Magazine
- October 2012, Named 25 Women to Watch by the Piedmont Business Journal
- 2011 Pacesetter Award by the Fauquier County Chamber of Commerce
- 2010 Distinguished Service Award at the Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia State Bar
- 2011- 2018 Voted Best Law Firm by readers of the Warrenton Lifestyle Magazine
- 2017 National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers
- 2016 National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- 2016 National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers
- 2019 American Institute of Family Law Attorneys – 10 Best Attorneys
- 2019 Attorney & Practice Magazine Top 10 Family Law Firm
- 2018 National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40 Criminal Defense Lawyers
- 2018 Lawyers of Distinction Recognizing Excellence in General Practice Award
- 2017 Top Lawyers Rising Stars
In the Community
Sponsorship for Rappahannock High School Band Fundraiser Mini-Golf
Volunteering with The Salvation Army
Warrenton Town Limits